I had a thought about fic yesterday. Like, what if triads were normal, and everyone considered couples “incomplete”? What would a romance story in that world look like? What would society look like? Would single people be extra looked-down-upon, or highly coveted by couples wanting to complete their triad?
Would homophobia exist? I can’t imagine bisexual erasure would ever be a thing, but might there be something similar for monosexual people? “Oh, you just haven’t found the right man/woman/etc. yet!” Would non-gendernormative people have more acceptance? Would man/woman/third be the ultimate triad? Would people be encouraged away from their male/female gender identity in order to “make a better match”?
Would people feel sorry for couples? “How do you decide on anything without a tie-breaking vote?” “Don’t you feel sad, never getting to sleep in the middle?” “How do you get anything done around the house with only two pairs of hands?” “Aren’t your children at a disadvantage without three parents at home?” “How can you possibly have enough income on only two paychecks? I mean, I remember when my first wife and I had to live in my mom and dad and pop’s basement before we met our second wife. She’s the real breadwinner.”
Interesting things to think about. And write about maybe. Teen Wolf really has a lot of potential as a triad society. I mean, Scott and Stiles could be so close because they’re half-brothers (only they’d just say brothers) and grew up in the same house.
This is such an awesome idea, and yet my bitter feminist brain just comes up with all the new ways patriarchy would find to suck in this world.
I think for it to be really fun, you’d have to make most people bisexual and remove some of the stigma about that. If you keep people more or less where they are along the gender and attraction axes (though I think there’s a social component to how people identify, and more people will probably call themselves bi who might have said gay or straight in our world)…
- Bisexual women are suddenly very popular. The privileged relationship structure is one man, two bi women.
- Bisexual men in MMF triads are still taking lots of shit from all directions.
- Especially from straight men in MFM “triads” that are really more vee’s. (They may not be alpha males but at least they’re not fucking fags.) (The bi guys respond that at least they’re in a real triad.)
- The women in those relationships are greedy sluts.
- Which makes it okay for two buddies to get together and share a slut. But it’s just for fun, man. We want to find two girls each and settle down.
- Feminists are getting kind of tired of arguing about whether women in one man - two straight women relationships are happiest that way or just conditioned to think they should be.
- Gay triads carry on pretty much as they have.
- Gay couples, though, especially women, have a very hard time being out, considering the number of guys who want to “complete them”. With their dicks. Gay men experience some of the same thing, but with fewer rape threats. (Can you say fangirl? Fag hag? How about misogyny?)
- There are plenty of couples out there looking for their third. Mostly these are MF and looking for a bi girl. Lots of the time straight guys don’t want a male third, but may settle for it because they’re afraid of their girlfriend leaving them for a couple.
- Single people face the choice of looking for a couple or another single person. The other single people want couples, though, so it’s kind of hard to get into a couple in the first place. Some people will try to solve this by starting triads from scratch with group dates. (Or maybe coupling up at all is considered a bad idea, because people think it will make it harder to make a real triad later?)
So many ideas, this might end up being a story =)
Today’s my first time being in a supervisory role. My goal today is to foster an environment that inspires those around me to work well together and have fun doing so. Wish me luck!
For anyone who doesn’t know who Michael Brown is or what’s been going on in Ferguson
- Saturday Aug. 9, 2014: Reports out of Ferguson, MO. that a 17 y/o boy was shot 10 times by police over stolen candy
- He is identified as 18 y/o Michael Brown. The store Mike Brown allegedly stole candy from did not report any theft. Reports then claim that Brown was unarmed and shot 10 times for jaywalking.
- Mike Brown’s body was left lying in the street uncovered for 4 hours. His body was then placed into an unidentified black SUV.
- His mother said she was not allowed to ID her son’s body.
- Community members take to the streets (x). Flowers are spread where Mike Brown’s body laid (x).
- Protests begin. “No justice, no peace" chants are turned into "Kill the police" by media. Police respond to the unarmed crowd with dogs, shotguns, and this shit
- On the morning of Sunday Aug. 10, 2014, a crowd of people continued protesting, gathering at the Ferguson police station
- After a press conference, reports claim that there was a “struggle over the officer’s weapon" and that Mike Brown assaulted the officer who shot him. However, witnesses say that’s not what happened.. and they all have the same story (x) (x) (x)
- On the night of Aug. 10: Police blocked off streets (x), brought out the dogs (again), rifles, tear gas, gas masks, riot gear (x), tanks, and yelled “bring it on you fucking animals" at the crowd of protestors. They also did not hesitate to pull a woman who is 6 months pregnant out of a car, have her lay face down, and point their weapons at her
- Reports of looting and vandalism grab the media’s attention
- More pictures/footage from that night: (x) (x) (x)
- Protests continued into the morning of Monday Aug. 11: (x) demands of the protestors
- The night of Aug. 11: (x) Tear gas (x) (x), (x) (x) (x) (x) Gas masks, (x)
- Later that night: More tear gas (x) (x) (x) (x) lots of tear gas, seriously look at all this tear gas, riot gear, rifles, m16s, wooden pellets (x) (x), people shouting “hands up, don’t shoot!” and still shot with rubber bullets, (x) (x)
- Police tell people to return to their homes, returning home still isn’t good enough apparently. Police continue to shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at people who have returned home (x)
- Police shoot tear gas at media and threaten to arrest them if they don’t leave (x)
- Police think their lives are in jeopardy
- Oh yeah, the officer who killed Mike Brown is on paid administrative leave
- OH YEAH, the police declined to talk to Dorian Johnson, witness of his friend Mike Brown’s murder. But you can read Johnson’s description of what happened here
- But the Ferguson Police Department said they would release the name of the officer who killed Mike Brown………. Just kidding! (x) His safety is important (x)
- Tuesday Aug. 12: Police ban the media from the area. Ferguson declared a no fly zone (x) (x)
- Protesting continues
- Protesting rules (x)
- "Hands up, Don’t shoot!" (x) (x)
- “Who do you serve? Who do you protect?”
- Neighborhood cleanup organized
- Ferguson police officer drives around QuikTrip and harasses those who are working to clean up the mess
- Mugshots of looters to be released. Officer who killed Mike Brown is still nameless.
If there’s anything I missed or anything that is incorrect please let me know and I’ll change it or add it